Thursday, August 30, 2012

death and dying and crying

I don't know what's wrong with my kids. 

Today, they packed up Henry's old backpack with their own homemade 'tornado survival kit'.  They included some stuffies and blankets, and at my suggestion, they added a couple granola bars, a bottle of water and a few flashing light things for their bikes that they got at this year's neighborhood block party.

(Note to self, supervise how many your children shove into their pockets without your knowledge when the police officer dumps out the entire contents of her bag and says "take it all, I've had a really bad day". Unsupervised pillaging leads to you owning approximately 2.3 billion little blinky flashy light things that all say 'Centerpoint Energy' on them.  This is enough to create a runway in our backyard to land the occasional, off-course airplane).

Back to my point, the boys are currently obsessed with death and dying and what if we all die.

Last night, as we dined at Costco.  (Yes, I'm fancy... I know.  I can't deny that I like spending less than 5 bucks for dinner, where I can split a ginormous slice of pizza, a Diet Coke and still get a swirl cup of ice cream.)  Sitting there with the spoon dangling from his mouth Wyatt wondered about him going into Kindergarten next week.

"Are you going to cry, Mom?"

"Perhaps," I replied.  "only because I know what a big change it will be.  You'll officially be spending more time with your teacher than with me... and that's sad."

Wyatt ponders that for a moment, "So, will you be really sad when we are all teenagers?  Will we make you cry all the time?"

I giggled at the thought of this and answered with a knowing smile, "Yes, probably."

Wyatt moves forward and says in his little serious voice, "Would you cry if Daddy died?  Without pause, he continues...  "that means if Daddy died, you would have to be the nice one - and that would probably make you cry the most of all!"

Of course, he's probably right, being 'the nice one' would probably kill me.

8 comments:

L. Shanna said...

Dinner at Costco means you ARE the nice one! ;)

Marie said...

Oh my goodness, the things they say. Thanks for the giggles!

MommyLisa said...

I LOVE dining at Costco - we had lunch there on Mother's Day. And yes, the hubby then made a really nice dinner on the grill.

amanda said...

seriously?? seriously!! i adore that wyatt of yours!!

ps. thanks for the reminder - i have yet to make it to costco here!!

Shan said...

Loved this whole post, but dude... kindergarten? I mean, Mad's starting pre-K on Wednesday, so it makes sense. But really, kindergarten?

Krystyn @ Really, Are You Serious? said...

Oh, Wyatt...always knows how to keep you in check, doesn't he? And, perspective!

Emmy said...

Ouch! Lol and yea- I am right there with you being the mean one. Dads are always so much more fun

Unknown said...

Gosh, your posts make me cry! I did just have a liquid lunch with my insufferable boss, but still, you rule. I truly do love your blog and hope that we see you guys sometime in the next 5 years or so. Keep on being an awesome anti-supermom!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...