Thursday, August 23, 2012

damn green

I remember, when Henry was born, how my husband and I joked about how we could mess with our kids, teach them that the color 'yellow' was 'blue' instead.  How we could have really fuck them up like the poor kid that won't have any friends that know if he's a boy or a girl.  We laughed about the power we had to teach them whatever we choose... 'No, the sky is purple you crazy kid'.

I was reminded of this yesterday, when Edy was wearing her green Crocs. 

Man, I use to hate those Crocs.  They were Wyatt's and the only reason I got them was because I accidentally threw his in the dryer and consequently, they shrank... and he hated me.  And of course, he cried and screamed and refused to wear any other shoes and 'luck' would have it, it was Fall and there were no Crocs, anywhere, in any stores, except this crappy second-hand store and the only pair left in his size were these damn green Crocs.

And now, Edy discovered these Crocs in the back of her closet and she loves them.  Ultimately, she loves all shoes.  She sits in the entryway, pulling pair after pair of shoes from the cubbies and tries them on.  They have to be shoes that she can put on herself, like Crocs, or she gets pissed off, like only a two-year-old little girl could do.

She has two pairs of Crocs, red and what I call damn green.

I look at the Croc a little differently now.  For some reason, they look adorable on her feet.  People compliment her on them all the time and they are her 'go to' shoes.

Except she gets the colors messed up and she calls her damn green Crocs 'red'.

I opted to attempt to teach to her: "No, these are red.  Those are green".

Enter full body convulsions and cue screams "NO... GREEN!"

I can't count how many times we've had this umm, 'conversation'.

I give up.  Damn green, or red, or whatever the heck she wants to call them that day, wins.



*

I know, I haven't posted in 3 months... let's just get that out there. I'm sorry. 

You can suck it up and forgive me or not.

Honestly, I've written 57 post in my head over the last three months and as each week goes by, it gets harder and harder to push 'publish'. I'm tired of the social media game: of tweeting my post, slapping it up on Facebook, making sure it goes up on my non-existent fan page, pinning it.  I just want to write.   So, I'm hoping to do just that.

11 comments:

L. Shanna said...

Amen to the "just write" idea! I like the new look of the blog, and I also like how cute those damn green crocs are!

Christina said...

Just glad to see you back!

Unknown said...

I love you and I love that you make me laugh so hard that I have to literally cover my mouth and stuff the laughter back inside me because I'm in the library and they'll kick me out if I cackle.
Thank you for coming back. I was going to email you pretty soon to make sure you were still alive! <3

amanda said...

YOU DID IT!!! and it was the perfect comeback post. 100% you. the best. my favorite. and i want more. yes i am needy like that :)

i love e too. like i just can't wait till our little e's are together. bc my e is also obsessed with her crocs. and i swore my girls would never have them. now? i don't know how we'd survive without them.

ps. seriously so glad you're back.

pps. please tell me that's your chest in the header?

Marie said...

Yay! You're back! I've missed you, but no pressure here. Everyone needs breaks; I'm just happy you are writing. Hugs!

justme said...

:-) glad to have you back

Emmy said...

When kids think they are right, they think they are right end of story. And yes it is often gets easier just not to argue

Emmy said...

Oh and welcome back :)

MommyLisa said...

Boo Boo had green crocs - I love them so much more than the icky red ones she has now. ;)

I.can.hear.the.wailing.

Bridgette said...

Stella saw this picture last night and recognized the shoes without even seeing the face, "Hey that DD's shoes!" A real friend can pick out her bff by shoes alone!

Bridgette said...

Stella saw this picture last night and recognized the shoes without even seeing the face, "Hey that DD's shoes!" A real friend can pick out her bff by shoes alone!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...