Wednesday, December 1, 2010

what's in a name

There was a family that lived close to my hometown that had the last name of Balls. The husband's name was Harry and the wife's, Sharron. Now, say that out loud: Harry Balls and Sharron Balls. Yes, seriously... true story.


So anyways, I'm always on the look out for poorly named things. I spied one at Super Target last night, Bimbo Bread. What's worse, they had to pronounce the name for people like me that think spelling bimbo would mean a foolish woman with loose morals (wait a second... umm, who's confused here). The loaf is printed with a "Say Beembo".

I'm not falling for it.

This reminded me though, of the package of donuts my husband bought on our Thanksgiving road trip down to Iowa:


That's right... it's called Creme Dream Donuts


And yes, it's says "making it fresh for you".

*

Let me know some of your favorites, I'm always in need of a good giggle~

15 comments:

LutherLiz said...

I may be crass but I always giggled at the "Kum and Go" gas stations.

Unknown said...

Oh, my god. What a laugh! I can't think of my last bout of hilarity over a name and its driving me crazy! It was just last night...Poop.

Krystyn @ Really, Are You Serious? said...

I always laughed at the Bimbo trucks, too (and, no, that pronunciation that they printed it totally wrong.).


And, Creme Dreams...I would have lost it.

KristinFilut said...

I've seen that Bimbo line before. I think it's hilarious! I think it's a Hispanic brand. People should really do their research when the name things!

Anonymous said...

The first time I saw bimbo bread was in Mexico, so they pronounce it the way you saw it, but still, didn't anyone say, "Um, maybe we should think twice before marketing that in the US." I know a Phil M. Bush. Too bad.

MommyLisa said...

I loved the names of people at the chiropractor I worked at - no lie, Todd Livingood and Rockets Redglare.

I have seen Bimbo too. Funny.

And on my way to work there is a Pump N Munch.

AiringMyLaundry said...

I want to try some Bimbo bread now.

amanda said...

really? cream dream?? please!!

Together We Save said...

Oh my... I have never noticed these before!!

Mrs. M said...

Hilarious!

Ali said...

Haha! My hubby's a police officer and had to deal with a local crackhead many times, she named her daughter Peppermint Schnapps.

Galit Breen said...

lol TOO funny! i used to babysit for a family with the last name "ball" and the baby's first name? "crystal." ouch. fun post & i'll never look at some of those items -ahem- in the same way! :)

Shan said...

I once had a client whose last name was Butt-Slutter. Seriously, I'm all for the hyphenated name as an option, but that doesn't mean you need to take it!

Emmy said...

LOL! That is awesome. I can't think of any now either

dmarks said...

True story: I knew a teacher named Mr. Dick.

Eventually, he and his wife had a child. A son.

They changed their surname to Olson.

Why? Because there was some sort of family obligation to give the newborn baby boy the first name of Harry.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...