Thursday, September 23, 2010

AARP's gotten the memo

We were sitting outside on the patio of a restaurant (stop laughing... yes, you can sit outside in Minnesota in the middle of September; they might have had heat lamps going but... whatever). Wyatt stopped mid-chip to ask me: "why do your hands look like Grandma hands?". I looked at him, hoping that I just misunderstood him, "what are you saying?".

I remember looking at co-workers' hands in the past and thinking 'wow, hands really do age you', then I tossed that thought away remembering too 'she and cigarettes are BFFs, gotta be the smoking.' I've got nothing to worry about.

So surely, sitting at the table, Wyatt investigating my hands, I knew there must be some explanation; perhaps that the freckles are too close to age spots, the chipped and bitten nails are just not pretty enough for Wu.

Then Henry decides to jump into the conversation, "They just look old, Mom".

I look at my husband, he just shrugs.

Just lovely.

The next day, still feeling slighted by my children (and husband), I reach into the mailbox and what do I see...


Apparently, AARP's gotten the memo.

12 comments:

Mrs. M said...

Sometimes I think the AARP just likes to mess with us once in a while! :)

Murdock's mama said...

This post is too funny! Especially since you're such a young mom! Imagine what your children would say to you if you were like 50! :)

amanda said...

it cracks me up when these come in the mail!! talk about a broken system!!

Mimi N said...

Gotta love the honesty of children. I've been looking at my hands lately and realizing how old they look! It's shocking and sad! LOL

And if you're sitting outside you must be freezing or wet because it's been so cold & rainy here!

~Mimi

Shan said...

Oh, that's just a whole lotta wrongness, lol.

Krystyn @ Really, Are You Serious? said...

Oh, that's totally not right. But, I know I have old lady hands, too! And, I put on loads of lotion!

citymouse said...

Too funny! You gotta train them right from the start. I just turned 47. My husband has been telling my kids I am 29 since I was 29. They believed him forever. They're older now and know I'm not 29 (especially since one of them is 23 himself) but they definitely do not know I am 47. They still think their dad just robbed the cradle or something. I think I only find this funny because I really don't care if they know my age.

Emmy said...

Doh! Yes gotta love kids and their honesty. And the timing of it all :)

Laura Marchant said...

You know, my sister said the same thing to me not long ago. I was at her house doing something and all of a sudden she goes, oh my gosh your hands are exactly like moms. Made me happy.

Just A Normal Mom said...

Usually kid-honesty is cute, but there are those times...
Nice timing by AARP. I'll never forget the look of offense on my husband's face when his first issue of "Geezer Jock" showed up in the mail - a magazine for "Masters Athletes". Oh, he was mad.

Ally

Imaginative Me said...

How funny. I think i've gotten some aarp things in the mail as well, and i'm way under the limit! :) maybe they got the wrong memo!

Rebecca said...

AARP really needs the members these days, so they've lowered their eligibility age to 29.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...