Friday, December 26, 2008

sticks and no stones


It never fails, I'm left with one present. One last minute present and when I say last minute, it's Christmas day and the only places open in my family's hometown are gas stations. (I'm not going to tell you who I had forgotten on my list, but it's a big one, you'd think less of me than you already may if I told you who it was, worse, this is the second year in a row that I've done it).

So swallowing my guilt, somewhat lessened by my attendance of my mother-in-laws very traditional church, I found myself pondering what exactly I could purchase at a convenience store on Christmas morning?

The answer was as easy as looking at the sad cashier behind the counter wishing that she didn't pull the shortest stick on having to work on Christmas morning stick draw. "I'll take ten dollars worth of lottery tickets, please". Crossing my fingers that she might be a little more fortunate in the picking of my lottery tickets than she was in drawing sticks for working Christmas day, she handed them over to me. She gave me that look, the look that said yes, you are the lowest form of present-givers they have out there. There's nothing more that says I forgot you than lottery tickets, well, that and gas gift cards.

Just to let you know, Grandma won a buck back, so I've got a good feeling that maybe that cashier's luck is about to change and that it will not be her behind the counter next year when I once again stand there on Christmas morning buying lottery tickets for Grandma.

16 comments:

Mandy said...

Hey...you do what you can. I think lottery tickets are way better than re-gifting...which is what I did. LOL.

Wisconsin Parent said...

Lottery tickets are the best...nothing says eternal salvation like a little scratch and win!

Stephanie said...

Dave's parents bought us some too and I won 63 dollars!

Rebecca said...

There is something worse than lottery tickets. An unnamed gift giver in my family said, "I wanted to buy you lottery tickets for Christmas, but I ran out of time. Sorry I didn't give you anything."

In this case, it really, really is the thought (and nothing else) that counts!

Jyl @ MommyGossip said...

We don't have the lottery where I live, but I would drive across state lines to get them if I needed a last-minute gift :).

Happy Holidays!

BloggessJ said...

I love me some Lotto tickets! Thanks for stopping by yesterday!

Kristen said...

Is it terrible that I am laughing?? Because I am friend!! Sorry that you may have remembered last minute, but you certainly did NOT forget! :)

Hope your Christmas was otherwise very Merry and "normal"!

Unknown said...

Hey the effort is what counts here, and going out to the store on Christmas morning, you must really love your Grandma!

Anonymous said...

Hey, betcha grandma loved those lotto tickets more than anything else you would have bought her!

Lorie said...

Bwahahaha! I love it! Luckily I remembered the people I forgot a little earlier than Christmas morning..but not much!

RuensOnTheRun said...

Laughing, you now have almost a whole year to buy her gift for next Christmas. Buy it and store it, but don't forget where you store it, because then you will end up with lottery tickets again..

Krystyn @ Really, Are You Serious? said...

I'm sure grandma had a blast scratching them off...and woo hoo for the win.

Aracely said...

Grandparents are easy to forget They're old, so they have 2 of EVERYTHING!! What else would you buy them?

Miss Lisa said...

But just imagine if she won BIG money. You would be the santa of the year ;)

Marla said...

around these parts they advertise this all season long... nothing wrong with this idea... and no one needs to know they were last minute...

Unknown said...

You forgot Grandma!? Just kidding, she probably liked them, I would. At least you remembered to get her something and didn't completely forget all together.

Seeing as how it has been done more than once, should one of us remind you next year, say on Christmas Eve? Kidding, really.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...