Thursday, May 3, 2012

well, poop on you

I took the kids to the library on Monday, because, as I tell my husband, I like to use their environment to educate entertain them, and well... it was Monday and I was tired.

As we walked in, we were surprised to see a former preschool classmate of Wyatt's there.  They both got a little giddy and chased a circle around the young adult section until both moms slowed them down to a few wiggles and instead, had them sit on a bench next to each other by the window.

I overheard his friend tell Wyatt "I can read that one to you, just stay here next to me..."

At that time, I was flipping through the books seeing which ones catch my eye (because, yes, I really do judge a book by it's cover, sue me).  I whispered to his mom, who was standing close to me, watching them, "He doesn't really know how to read, does he?"  I sort of said this laughing, I mean, he just turned 5, like Wyatt.

She replied like it's no big deal "Oh, yes... he does."

I must have looked a little stunned by that.

She continued, obviously feeling the need to rewind a bit, "But he was highly motivated by his big sister".

I couldn't get any appropriate response out, all I could think was, 'well, Wyatt has a big brother too, and that doesn't make him want to read.'

Just at that moment I heard Wyatt yelling something to his friend who was still sitting next to him "I don't know how to read, but I know how to write!"

Thank goodness that conversation sort of turned at that moment and they started talking about 'who was taller than who', because the only word Wyatt knows how to write, other than his name, is p-o-o-p.

Apparently, this is how Wyatt is motivated by his big brother.

13 comments:

Rita/Fighting off Frumpy said...

Hey ... motivation is motivation! I think it's spectacular. :)

L. Shanna said...

Hilarious! Kids are so funny.

amanda said...

oh for the love of poop!

sidenote - while checking out preschools last week, one director was like and all of our students in our four year old room are reading and adding and subtracting and doing fractions. and i wanted to be like seriously lady? seriously. please!!

Galit Breen said...

Hee! We all have to start somewhere! :)

Marie said...

Hahahaha!!!

Whitney Soup said...

that is a very great poop sign. one of the finest i've ever seen

Bubbles said...

I love this. Awesome! I wish more moms would take your stance and stop beating themselves to a bloody pulp to be the perfect mother. Your kids just need to know you love them right?

Shan said...

Oh man, I probably just laughed loud enough to clue Tom into the fact that I didn't really go upstairs to bed.

Is it any consolation that I had this conversation with friends tonight?
"I am that mother. I compare. Fynn started walking about sevenish months ago. Started talking a few months after that.
Madelyn walked at nine months and spoke clearly at her birthday. She didn't speak a lot because she was always trying to figure everything out.
Corey? He walked at 10 months and spoke in sentences at 15 months.
And Fynn? Fynn bangs spoons."

So yeah, no big sister motivation here either.

Emmy said...

Oh the things big brothers teach them! I have a nephew who is in K and reading chapters books- long ones. I don't usually point that out to my Lucas too often as I don't want him to feel bad. Some kids reading just comes beyond easy too- but that nephew also has to eat the same thing for lunch everyday and has to play games the exact same way- a lot of OCD qualities. So everyone has their strengths and weaknesses.

Susan Bodendo/Super Earthling said...

Oh my gosh, Beth, this is just TOO funny! Kids are such a riot. :D

Krystyn @ Really, Are You Serious? said...

I judge by a cover, too!

This is a boy thing, right? Please say yes..

Teaching My Children said...

Awesome! Love it! You need to frame that!

4luvandlife said...

Very funny. Laughing too loud at work right now.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...