Tuesday, May 1, 2012

little holes

My mom leaned over in the front seat of the car and asked me 'if I remembered to wear my underwear?'. I lifted up my skirt and the confused look must have said it all as she made a quick turn around to swing into the nearest Pamida to buy me a new pack of days of the week underwear so I could go to preschool properly dressed.

This is how I remember that day, but I'm pretty certain there are like a billion holes in this story.  Like one, why am I sitting in the front seat of the car? (Yes, it was the late 70's, but still...). Two, my mom is asking me 'if I remembered my underwear?', so did I not wear my underwear enough times that it warrants her to ask me before dropping me off at preschool?

'Yep, Beth, you use to forget to wear underwear all the time!'

Awesome. Child genius, clearly.

It's just one of those memories where you look at a picture and it feels like you remember being there, being in that moment, remember that second when the camera snapped.  But in reality, you have a picture and you have people reminding, telling you, filling in all those little holes.

Today, I'm pretty happy for those little holes, those memories that Edy won't really remember.

Because I was pretty much insane.

I chased after her all. day. long. trying to get the perfect picture of her in her first day of pigtails.

I think I'll be selective in telling her the story, short and focused.

'No, Edy, your mommy is not crazy, you just looked so cute!'

Dang it... she probably need some convincing that I'm not crazy.

(and this is only 3 of the umm, 47 that I've taken).

12 comments:

4luvandlife said...

I still say martian tails but they are very cute.

Unknown said...

I would have taken 47 pictures too - maybe more. She's just so darned CUTE!

Bridgette said...

Perfect piggies! And she was even cuter in person. :)

L. Shanna said...

So, so, so cute. And I was a pre-schooler in the eighties and have vivid memories of sitting in the front seat... sans seat belt. My Mom denies it :)

Emmy said...

Oh so so cute! First pigtails are wonderful.
And if you are anything like me- she won't forget this as there will be many many more days where you are running after her taking tons of pictures because of cute firsts :)

Liz Mays said...

Gotta say it. That was just so worth the chase. :)

Shan said...

I love her! (Pigtails, smile, eyes... whatever.)

I don't know of any stories of forgetting underwear in preschool, but my *dad* did regale us all a few years ago with the way he would come get me from naps and find me completely naked.

Marie said...

She's rockin' the pigtails!

saucersrus said...

Oh I totally LOVE her expression in the last picture!!!

Galit Breen said...

Oh so very sweet and oh my, yes - I'm counting on those holes, too! Ahem. :)

amanda said...

oh be still my heart!! love love love the piggies :)

ps - also reminds me of my wedding day. kaihtlyn spent the night before with joe so i could have a bff sleepover. the next morning he brought her to breakfast and i asked if he brought everything with him - her dress, shoes, etc. and he was so proud - got it all babe. and then i looked down at her and was like how about underwear? and he was like crap. poor girl had no underwear on!! awww memories :)

Krystyn @ Really, Are You Serious? said...

Those piggies are absolutely adorable. Pretty sure we couldn't do them until like 3!

And, what is it with the forgetting of the underwear?

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...