Monday, March 9, 2009

barbie world

I'm adding a big plus to the lucky-I'm-only-having-boys column today.

Countless hours, days, perhaps years of mothers sitting cross-legged on the floor with daughters playing Barbies may have just been wasted. Mothers who sit there talking with their daughters about body image, how Barbies are not realistic figures of women, that there is no way that a woman's waist would be that tiny, her boobs that huge or her body be that insanely flexible; that
the body of a Barbie isn't real.

After all that, they go and have a fashion show
with real models dressed as Barbie for her 50th birthday.


I never was into Barbie, Cabbage Patch dolls were more my thing
(and you bet I cried when my first Cabbage Patch was a homemade one with those weird flaring nostrils) but if I'm lucky enough to actually have a girl, I can look forward to sitting cross-legged on the floor with her and totally pointing out that Mommy's legs are just as stout and that her belly is just as squishy as her Cabbage Patch dolls

(but oh yes, Mommy is just as flexible as Barbie though).

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

First of all, playing Barbies is AWESOME :-) and I think they've actually changed her figure to be more 'realistic' than it was 20+ years ago when we had Barbies. Based on my due date I've got 26 more days but I am totally going to bully my obgyn into inducing me sometime next week. So we'll see!

Mandy said...

I am glad I have boys, too. Great post. I love the new header!!

I was a Cabbage Patch Kid gal as well. :)

Wisconsin Parent said...

I bet Barbie has chin hair now!

Elizabeth Byler Younts said...

i loved barbis & cabbage patch...i'm a total girly-girl and so far so is my toddler. ;-) i never thought much about barbi's figure when i was a kid until i was a lot older and someone pointed out to me that it was supposed to hurt my psychy to play with barbi...???? either way...so many toys need to be "parented" through...especially nowadays...have you ever seen those "Bratz" dolls! Yikes!

amanda said...

oh i totally had a homemade cabbage patch to start with - i was sooo embarrassed!! i got over it though when my very first, very original joanna susanna showed up.

it was love at first sight :)

Aracely said...

WHOT!?! Let me see your downward dog!

Not a Barbie girl either.

Anonymous said...

I'm more of an oldie barbie fan. I have a little collection. :) I LOVED my cabbage patch kids!!!

OHmommy said...

I was TOTALLY a cabbage patch kid as well and so glad that my daughter prefer their other dolls, for now. Barbie's clothes are soooo hard to put on and when they DO want to play with them I am stuck squeezing Barbie into her mini skirts.

Heh. Fun times.

RuensOnTheRun said...

I love the new header! As as child I loved barbies, but I'm so glad I'm playing boy toys now days!! I love having boys!

Anonymous said...

I tell people about the homemade cabbage patch dolls too - I appreciate that mom was trying to be frugal though, and I also appreciate the good dinner convo/blogging material.
Love the new header/photo, btw.
And thanks for Friday night - I had lots of fun with you...those blogher conference gals should be excited about a night on the town with Anti-Supermom!

Rebecca said...

We called those homemade Cabbage Patch dolls the booger babies because of the weird noses.

Loukia said...

I loved Cabbage Patch Kids... I remember singing along to the soundtrack, too! Remember Otis Lee? He was the 'cool' boy? I had a crush on him, I think! Totally weird. And I'm kinda depressed now, because you just reminded me that my body is more similar to a CBK doll then Barbie's. Flabby. Out of shape. No more perky boobs and no 6 mile long legs. Sigh.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...