Thursday, August 21, 2008

dirty little secrets

He likes to keep things in his pockets. Lucky for the 'laundry lady' in me, it's usually not sticky things like ABC gum (remember that?) or gummy bears but common place things like pennies, Kleenex, rubber bands, wine corks...

Did I say 'wine corks'?
Oh yes, my four (and a half) year old has developed a fondness for bottles of wine, particularly the wine corks. (I guess, he's always had an unique idea of what he considers a 'toy'. When his cork goes missing, he runs around the house shouting 'where is my wine cork?' (probably in his pocket, but I digress).

Unknown to me, he decided to bring his cork to child care while I went to aerobics. Upon picking him up, he stops in his tracks and asks 'where is my wine cork?'. I tell him that we have to get going. He looks at me, shrugs his shoulders and looks at the new (as in doesn't know me or my family's quirkiness) babysitter to proudly say 'that's okay, my mom's got two more bottle in the refrigerator!'

She glances at me with a slight grin on her face and says 'so he's sharing your dirty little secrets, huh?'.

(The jokes on them though, one of them is twist off because that's the way I roll~)

15 comments:

amanda said...

haha - twist off!!

we just finished a bottle of that last night in our house.

love that he is sharing your dirty little secrets friend :)

4luvandlife said...

Funny post. I was a laughing ol.

Marla said...

i love the things kids choose as favorite things... wine cork??? move over fisher price...

Rebecca said...

No kidding, Maria - move over Fisher Price! Our son's favorite toy these days is the gadget used to connect a pacifier to clothing. There is no pacifier attached to it currently. It's just the strap and clip. He LOVES it.

Laural Out Loud said...

Seriously, why do we buy toys? My daughter had a fascination with beer caps for the longest time. So glad that stage is over!

Unknown said...

Lol! Too funny!

I was craking up :)

Miss Lisa said...

I heard a thing on NPR that twist off is al the rage in France--you are a trendsetter ;)

A Crafty Mom said...

Must be a four year old thing - ours often has corks in his pocket, lol. So far he hasn't leaked any of our secrets, but if he did . . . we'd be in BIG trouble ;-)

Marketing Mama said...

LMAO - that's hilarious! :)

Carol said...

Too funny.

My child somehow once went to playgroup condoms in his pocket. Now that was truly embarrassing.

BookMamma said...

Bwwhahhahaa!! Love it!

THAT'S what I should do... force a cork collecting habit on Finn so I'll have an excuse to drink more!

You? Are brilliant!

Anonymous said...

My son is into toothpicks. Not the kind to clean your teeth with or to see if it comes out clean when a cake is finished baking. No! The kind to stick into sandwiches. And, to be more precise, the ones with blue plasticky stuff on the top. NOT RED, heaven forbid!

The thing that really made me laugh about your post though--or commiserate--was stuff in the pockets during laundry. Only this is my husband, not my child. And, it IS the messy stuff like chap stick. Makes me wonder if he carried that around as a child???

mom2natnkatncj said...

Ahhhh, yes a wine cork is way more fun to play with than blocks ;).

Manager Mom said...

That's SO funny... I wonder what would happen if a cork got washed in the laundry? Would it melt in the dryer?

3 Peanuts said...

My boys love corks too andthey actually fight over them when we open a bottle of wine.

Kim

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...