Wednesday, August 13, 2008

I'm so not a granola girl

My Husband.He's a mountain bike racer. (Doesn't he look all sweaty and dirty and hot and yeah, I'm totally pimping out my husband for a post).

Said mountain bike races are well, in the mountains (okay, we live in Minnesota, so large-ish hills with trees). Who likes to be in the trees, among the mountains, taking in those deep breaths of fresh air?

People of the 'granola' kind. My husband even witnessed through the corner of his eye (or so he says) a woman biker pulling up her skirt, slipping off her biking shorts and proceeding to pull up her underwear, in front of people, in front of 100 racing people. I'd consider that pretty granola. I'm so not a granola girl.

Needless to say, I feel like I don't fit in well with all of the granola girls who some happen to also be mountain biking mommas. I sit side-by-side these mommas as I tide my boys over with their favorite over-processed, pre-packaged, high fructose snacks as they sit cheering on their racing Dad. My favorite new snack to bring along...
because they look like this
which looks very similar to this
Gotta love a snack with shock value. If I pack them up in a clear little baggie and hand them individually to my children to woof down, imagine the look on those granola girls' faces.

And you crazies at Keebler - you know you wanted to call them Scooby Snacks, you know America is going to, why didn't you just go for it? A big Rut -Ro for you. (By the way, I love using my horrible Scooby voice when asking my boys if they want a scooby snack?)

17 comments:

Beowulfa said...

ROFL. I think I'd do the same thing, make 'em all think I was giving my kid doggy bones ... although I'd be the one racing and my hubby would be watching ... oh well.

And though I've quoted the phrase "Runners. Yeah, we're different." for years now, I don't think I could ever strip down and go to the bathroom in front of people. Never say never though ......

Kristie said...

I love it. I would love to see the look on the faces of the granola girls as your kids are scarfing down their scooby snacks. Priceless!

amanda said...

shut up that's really your hubby? it looks like a stock photo for a racing ad!!

and you live in minnesota?? did i know that?? bc i love minnesota. and bc i now puffy heart you, pretty sure i might have to show up on your door step one day.

maybe you can share your non-granola scobby snacks??

amanda said...

i meant scooby snacks.

sorry :(

The Nice One said...

Well here's what makes it real fun, there are Scooby Snacks which are actually FOR dogs in pretty similar packaging.

That's a great pic of your hubby. Whew.

Yea, I tried the Granola Mom Thing for a few years...

Marla said...

i live in granola land myself... and when i first moved here it was an adjustment...

Miss Lisa said...

Oh my gosh--I wonder how many tired/busy moms make a really bad mistake at snacktime....

A Crafty Mom said...

OMG. I so LOVE Scooby Doo, and I do the Scooby voice too. My hubby does a totally fab Shaggy. My kids would kill for those snacks . . . I'm betting you can only get them in the US. I'll keep my eyes peeled. I loved all the granola definitions too, lol. How cool your hubs is a mountain biker - so fun!! The boys must be so proud and totally love watching him.

Anonymous said...

Very cool picture.

I have little processed fruit snack packages in each of my pocketbooks, so I imagine the granola girls would not approve of me either!

Marketing Mama said...

I just found those scooby snacks at the store a few nights ago. Alex LOVES them and they are reserved only for successfully using the potty - 1 for #1, 2 for #2. Of course we call them Scooby Snacks. Alex loves that they look like dog bones and he can be the dog.

Eve Grey said...

I want some Scooby snacks toooooo! I must look for them when I go down to the States in a few weeks.

Carol said...

So should have been scooby snacks.

They could not look more like a dog biscuit. Hysterical.

Laural Out Loud said...

I LOVE that you bring them for shock value! I'm so that mom, too. Might as well have a little fun if you're dragged to something you don't enjoy, lol.

Rebecca said...

I LOVE the Scooby Snacks! I'm afraid, though, that my husband and I would "get" it when our kids wouldn't, because neither had even heard of Scooby Dooby Doo. Is it still on TV? We are too into Charlie & Lola, Higglytown Heroes, and Little Einstein these days. We don't have a dog, so they wouldn't even get the dog treat part of it.

Anonymous said...

I'm so not a granola girl, and proud of it. Wheat pancakes need maple syrup, and chocolate is a good afternoon treat. Happy POW.

Tyne said...

That is so funny! I love the scooby snacks, I am totally going to try your clear plastic bag trick and fool all my snobby mom friends!

Elly said...

So, that's kinda yucky about the underwear thing. I promise I will never do that in front of your children or in view of your husband. I tend to use restrooms for that.

I always thought being a granola mama was a mom or gal who refused to shave pubs, legs, and under arms. Like that one lifeguard we worked with from L.C. with the short hair. All I remember is that her legs were very hairy. Being leftist, hippie, or whatever is less of an issue.

Are you sure being granola doesn't just have to do with the use of granola to calm little tummies. :-)

P.S. If my arms didn't retain so much body fat, I think I'd weigh 5 pounds less and look trimmer. Don't you think. Beware of turning 33. Exercise your arms daily. And I can't wait til the pool opens.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...